Monday 23 March 2015

SHOWCASE: Skaven warlord

Warhammer: Skaven warlord
The first of my End Times characters is finished. This is my skaven warlord, henceforth known as Itch Skratchkill. I feel a little bad that the poor chap only has three painted models to lead to war, but as one of them is a rat ogre, hopefully he can hide somewhere and keep himself safe until I make time to expand his hoard.

It's taken me about a month to get this model finished, though the actual painting time spent on him has been quite minimal. All in, I've spent about five hours on him. This is considerably more than I'd spend on any of the rank and file skaven models that will eventually [read: hopefully] make up his army, but as he's a character, he's worth a bit more effort.

Rear view... perhaps the most recognisable for the often cowardly skaven
I went for a deliberately dark colour scheme for this model. Skaven aren't cheerful and happy creatures. They're cruel, cowardly and vicious. This warlord uses very muted, neutral tones for most of his attire. The main spot colours come from his red armour and the red/green banner (achieved by glazing progressively lighter reds over a green basecoat). The brightest parts of the model are his skin and, in particular, his face, as it should be. I'm pleased to see that my slightly rough and ready technique has added a touch of character to his features. He was never intended to be competition standard, but I'm reasonably pleased with how he's turned out.

No comments :

Post a Comment