Tuesday 7 April 2015

WIP: sculpted bases

Some recently (almost) finished bases for an as yet undecided army
I have a very specific technique that I use to base the vast majority of my armies. Whether for Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000—square bases or round—I use the same methods. I may, on occasion, decorate bases with game or army-specific detritus, but the main base will remain coherent with the rest of my miniature collection, regardless of the army it is for. I have, however, always admired sculpted bases, and that has led me to an interesting dilemma...

The bases above are from two different ranges by a company called Micro Art Studios*. They offer a huge variety of different bases, among other things, but there are a handful of them that I genuinely admire. In the image above, I have included two from their Mosaic (left) and two from their Arcane (right) ranges. I've painted both sets following a tutorial for the Mosaic bases on their forum here (slightly modified for the colours I don't have).

The dilemma I mentioned is that I don't know yet which models to use them with. I'm currently torn between two 'new' armies. I use quotes because I've had a handful of models (unpainted, of course) for both armies for a while. Depending on the colour schemes I choose, both could look great on either type of base. These won't be 'full' armies, nor do I intend for them to become a project like my Blood Angels or Horus Heresy armies this year. They'll just be for display, which is why decorative bases like this are perfect. All I'll say for now is that one of the reasons I haven't done anything with these models until now is that both armies feature pieces that would benefit from being painted with an airbrush... and now I have one of those...



* If you haven't seen their range, it's well worth a look (here). I can also highly recommend Element Games** to anyone in the UK looking to acquire bases by them and others.
** As a cheeky plug, quoting the referral code CRA910 will get us both some extra store credit.

No comments :

Post a Comment