Thursday 30 April 2015

WIP: Armillus Dynat #2

Main body prior to undercoating
Following on from my last post, I'm now in a position to start looking at this model again. Having cleaned and assembled the bulk of the model, it's ready for paint. I'm painting this model in a number of sub-assemblies. The main body is shown above. Separate pieces include the hammer he holds in his right hand, his head and not one but two sculpted bases. The reason for the sub-assemblies is to make it easier to paint. I want to be able to get to the model from all angles and both the base and the hammer would make this complicated. I'm leaving the head separate because it has an exposed face and it's easier to paint on its own rather than risking getting the armour colours all over it.

The first step, as with most of my projects, is to undercoat all of the pieces with Chaos Black spray. I didn't get a picture of this, but given that the pictures in this post are of the same thing in different colours, I'm sure you can imagine what it would look like in black. Once that was dry I sprayed the main body and the hammer with Leadbelcher. Leadbelcher is a new spray can version of Games Workshop's base paint of the same name. I've never used metallic sprays before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Undercoated and basecoated
I was actually quite impressed. I was a little worried that you wouldn't get the same quality you get from a normal metallic paint. Most have metallic particles in them that I wasn't sure would aerosolise very well. The results are quite clean and it has the look you'd expect from a metallic paint. It also has good, even coverage, which you don't always get with a paint brush. It seems slightly brighter than the standard base paint, but this suits me fine for the scheme I have in mind.

My next task is to get the airbrush out and apply the next few colours: a pre-highlight of a lighter metallic colour (Runefang Steel), then some clear blue and green glazes. More on that soon...

No comments :

Post a Comment