Tuesday 3 February 2015

WIP: Skaven warlord

Warhammer: Skaven warlord (just assembled)
Just a quick post today to announce another project I'll be looking at over the coming weeks. I purchased this model last weekend, using a voucher I received for Christmas (you know who you are—thank you!). This isn't one of my main projects, but will provide a suitable distraction in between. It's a model Games Workshop released on the day I bought it to tie in with the skaven leg of the End Times series. I've been meaning to do more work on my skaven for a long time, so I'm hoping this model will prompt me to get on with it. I wouldn't mind if they became another major project. I definitely have enough of them to paint!

I really like these plastic 'clamp pack' kits for character models: a sprue containing a single model. Compared to other models, they're limited in terms of their poses, but as most are posed brilliantly in the first place, this isn't a problem for me. To my mind, moving to this format over the short-lived (and frankly rather flawed) Finecast range was a great move by Games Workshop. I remember when you could buy whole armies in metal, which felt nice because of the weight but couldn't achieve really sharp levels of detail. Finecast was supposed to address that by producing exceptionally detailed models using resin, but the casting process was wildly inconsistent and often resulted in fragile pieces and air bubbles that obscured or even destroyed whole areas of the figure. The plastic kits these days have come such a long way since I got into the hobby. I couldn't imagine having a model like this in plastic even ten years ago.

This one has been assembled and is ready to be based before I undercoat him and begin painting in earnest. I look forward to working on it between other projects and will post more updates on this particular model in the coming weeks.

No comments :

Post a Comment